Useful Financial Aid Links:

    The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA): www.fafsa.ed.gov
    •  This is the site you use to apply for a FSA ID and complete the FAFSA
    The NYS Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC): www.HESC.ny.gov
    •   This is the website used for applications to the NY Tuition Assistance Program (TAP).
    Start Here. Get There. Student Financial Aid Awareness: www.StartHereGetThere.org
    • This student financial aid awareness site is great for information about federal and state financial aid programs.
    An Overview of Financial Aid:
    What is it?
    • Financial Aid is a combination of money that is offered to a future student based on financial need. Financial aid includes:
      • Loans: Loans are money that is offered, but must be paid back. Federal loans can be either SUBSIDIZED or UNSUBSIDIZED. Subsidized loans do not gain interest until they are in repayment. On the other hand, unsubsidized loans accrue interest while you are in school.
      • Grants: Grant money is money that is given and does not have to be repaid. Some examples of grant money include the PELL and Academic Competitiveness Grant (ACG).
      • Scholarships: Scholarship money does not need to be repaid. It is offered for a variety of reasons, including financial need, academic/merit, ethnicity, and location. Some scholarships are one-time payments, while others are given every year for a certain amount of years.
      • For more information on types and eligibility for financial aid, check out www.hesc.ny.gov, New York's Higher Education Services website.
    • Most of the loans and grants you will be offered come from the federal government. You must fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to find out how much in different types of financial aid you may qualify for.
    Where do I apply?
    • You can apply online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. You will need to apply for a FSA ID in order to fill out the application.
    When do I apply?
    • The FAFSA is now available beginning on October 1st annually.
    • You will need the following documents when you are filling out the application:
         • FSA ID for student and parent/guardian
         • Social Security #
         • Driver's license (if you have one)
         • Alien registration # (if applicable)
         • Tax records and W2 forms
         • Current investment records (if any)
         • Records of any untaxed income (SSI, welfare, veterans benefits, etc.) 
    Why should I apply?
    • You never know what kind of aid you may be offered, so it can't hurt you to apply!
    • You have the right to refuse whatever is offered to you, so don't worry about being forced into an unsubsidized loan that you don't want!
    • College is expensive, so why not find out how much help you can get?
       **Use this timeline this timeline as a reference for financial information for seniors as a backup!**